Activism vs. Slacktivism Debate: Highlights and Reactions
The five-minute version of the Activism vs. Slacktivism Debate with panellist highlights and participant reactions.
All activism depends on the belief and hope by participants that acting together will make a difference. With increasing debate and rhetoric around the influence and power of digital activism, what will the future be for this form of mobilisation if misinformed commentary or ill-conceived use of digital tools and networks attempt to undermine it?
This debate challenged and provoked:
- campaigners who are not using online mobilisation strategically and the debate will challenge them to up their game
- skeptics of the power of digital activism and the debate will challenge them to learn how and when digital activism does work
The debate featured:
- Chair: Kathryn Corrick - Digital Media Consultant
- David Babbs - Executive Director, 38 Degrees
- Paul Hilder - Director of Campaigns, Oxfam
- Eric Lee - Founding Editor of LabourStart.org
- Micah White - Adbusters Senior Editor & Guardian contributor
- Naomi McAuliffe - Poverty and Human Rights Campaign Manager, Amnesty UK
- Rasmus Kleis Nielsen - PhD fellow, Oxford University & Roskilde University, Denmark
- Sam Smith - Democracy & Transparency activist
- Tom Steinberg - Director, MySociety.org